Thursday 13 August 2015

The Claw

So this week my main objective was to get the claw mechanism working properly. With my servo having not arrived, I borrowed  another one for the time being with the same dimensions. I had to file the middle section a little but it fitted just fine.

I printed out the mechanism supports on the 3d printer, with 100% infill to make it strong and assembled it in the current bot. With the servo connected to the arduino, I figured out the maximum opening and closing points and wrote a quick program that opened and closed the arms.

This worked fine, although in my first attempt I accidentally soldered the ground pin of the servo to the reset pin on the arduino! However, at that time I was still working with the original MDF claw that I made for my first prototype. I decided that now was the time to try and make the new claw (which I designed a while ago) out of steel.

After a chat with a workshop staff member, I found the best way to do this would be to use the university's hot wire cutter. However, being the most used machine in the workshop, there is a long ( about one month) waiting list. This is completely fine however as the actual robot wars is not till December. I submitted the work order and 3d printed the claws so I would have something to show off for the time being. When the steel claws are ready, it would be a simple job of bolting them in place.

With these printed, and a servo with more torque installed, I had a completed claw mechanism. It seemed very strong. With some simple testing, I found it could easily lift a 500ml bottle of water, which equates to a weight of 500g. Seeing at antwieghts are 150g at most, I should easily have the grip to move them. Also, the newer design of the claw is much gripper and grab objects better than the other one.
Video of claw meachnism

No comments:

Post a Comment