Monday 27 July 2015

First Few Parts

A few parts have come thorugh! My lego bits and bobs have arrived from brickowl and the wheels arrived from eBay. The wheels seem really good and grippy which seems a relief as that is the one thing you cannot tell from a photo! I assembled the bits I had and found a couple of problems.

The first one being that the tolerances in the 3d printer and the recorded measurement of the wheel meant that there is a slight rubbing between the wheel and one of the parts of the printed middle section. This has been momentarily solved by filing away the offending part. However, I have also changed the 3d design so this won't be a problem again.

The next, slightly larger, problem I encountered was that the mounts for the rear wheels didn't seem strong enough and had a lot of play in them (meaning the wheel could move up and down). This is partly because I had to drill out the holes as I got the size wrong in the model. I have solved this by making the mounts larger. Also, the reason that it didn't seem strong I now realise is that when I was printing the middle section, to save time knowing that it was a prototype, I made the infill only 20%. This means that only 20% of the inside of the object is filled; and is surprisingly strong despite this. When I print the finial piece it will have a 100% infill which should make it much stronger

No comments:

Post a Comment